Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Exclamation Points Poll Results

The results are in!

Recently, I conducted a poll to see what my readers thought on the question of my use of exclamation points. Someone told me I used too many, to I wanted to see what you, my readers, thought.

The question was:
Do I use too many exclamation points in my posts?

The responses were:
Yes, way too many.
Yes, a few too many.
No, describing the East Village today requires exclamation points!
Too many? Too few!

And the answer is… It's a three-way tie!

33.33333% voted for Yes, way too many.
33.33333% voted for Yes, a few too many.
33.33333% voted for No, describing the East Village today requires exclamation points!

OK, I admit it, I was the one who voted for the "No" response, so I'll exclude my vote, which means it was really a two-way tie.

So it seems that I was using too many exclamation points, but how many too many? I'm going to average it. If you add "way too many" to "a few too many" and divide by 2, you get "a few too many'", which reads "a few too many prime".

If you're not familiar with "prime" used this way, this is the explanation from wikipedia:

In mathematics, the prime is generally used to generate more variable names for things which are similar, without resorting to subscripts — x′ generally means something related to or derived from x.

What this all boils down to is that I will use fewer exclamation points going forward. For that matter, I've already scaled back on them.

East Villagers love their exclamation points, but not too many of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment